When it comes to protecting metal products from corrosion during storage and transportation, it’s important to consider the available VCI (volatile corrosion inhibitor) material options. Materials with VCI treatment contain substances that are used to protect metals from corrosion. These materials emit vapors that form a protective layer on the metal surface and protect it from oxidation.
Both VCI paper and VCI plastic are common options, but which one is better for your application? They both offer corrosion protection, but each has its own characteristics and benefits. In this article, we’ll analyze the differences between VCI paper and VCI plastic to help you make an informed decision about which option is best for application.
What is VCI paper and VCI plastic?
VCI paper: effective and eco-friendly protection
VCI paper is a special paper impregnated with VCI (volatile corrosion inhibitor) used to wrap and protect metal products. One of the main advantages of VCI paper is its ease of cutting and molding, making it ideal for protecting products of different shapes and sizes.
Additionally, VCI paper is biodegradable, making it an eco-friendly option for businesses looking to reduce their carbon footprint.
Another advantage of VCI paper is its effectiveness in corrosion protection. The chemical compounds emitted from VCI paper form an invisible protective layer on metal products, protecting them from oxidation and corrosion. VCI paper is also ideal for protecting metal products that need to be handled or inspected frequently, as it is easy to remove and replace.
VCI Plastic: resistance and versatility
VCI plastic is a plastic film that contains the same volatile corrosion inhibitors as VCI paper. One of the main advantages of VCI plastic is its versatility in terms of size and shape. It can be cut and welded to fit any size and shape of product, making it ideal for protecting even large and bulky metal products. Its most commonly used format today is in VCI bags.
Another advantage of VCI plastic is its resistance to water and dust. This makes it an excellent option for applications where the product needs to be protected for long periods of time and exposed to external contaminants.
It’s also easy to apply and remove, making it ideal for applications where protection needs to be temporary.
Differences between anticorrosion paper and anticorrosion plastic
Ultimately, the choice between VCI paper and VCI plastic will depend on the specific needs of application. It is vital to conduct a prior analysis.
7 factors to evaluate before choosing between VCI paper and VCI plastic:
- Product size
- Water resistance
- Protection duration
- Environmental impact
Below we present a list of pros and cons for each material to assess the importance of different factors and decide which VCI material option is the best for your application.
- VCI paper is a more economical option compared to VCI plastic.
- It is a more environmentally friendly option as it is biodegradable and can be easily recycled.
- It is ideal for smaller products as it can be adjusted more easily.
- It offers corrosion protection for up to five years from application.
- VCI paper is not as durable as VCI plastic, which means it can tear more easily.
- It is more susceptible to moisture and other external elements that can affect its effectiveness.
- It is an opaque material, which does not allow viewing the products being protected.
- VCI plastic is a more durable and long-lasting option compared to VCI paper.
- It is more versatile and can be applied to larger products, as it can be manufactured in larger sizes than VCI paper.
- VCI plastic is transparent, allowing for visibility of the products being protected. This can be useful for inventory verification or visual inspection.
- It offers greater protection against moisture and other external elements.
- VCI plastic is a more expensive option compared to VCI paper.
- It is less eco-friendly, as it is not biodegradable but can be easily recycled.
- It can be difficult to adjust the proper size of VCI plastic for smaller products.
- It offers protection for up to one year, making it more suitable for shorter transits or storage.
In summary, both VCI paper and VCI plastic are popular options for protecting metal products from corrosion during storage and transportation, and ensuring they arrive at their destination in optimal condition. Each material has its advantages and disadvantages, and the choice will depend on the specific needs of application.
If you need to protect products economically and flexibly, VCI paper may be the best option. In return, if you need to protect products from moisture or rain, VCI plastic is a better choice.
Ultimately, the choice will depend on your budget, the size and shape of your products, and the duration of protection needed. Consult our experts and receive tailored advice to choose the most suitable packaging in each case.